Monday, June 20, 2011

Humbled

Today has been quite the humbling day. It began when I read this status update early this morning:

"And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?"
-Mark 8:36
Little did I know that this one verse would apply to my entire day. Yesterday began my two weeks without any hours at work. I'm not sure how to deal with this since not working means I don't get a paycheck, and when I don't get a paycheck I can't afford things like gas and food. Needless to say since I left work Friday afternoon I've been worried about how I will make ends meet over the next few weeks.

This morning my wonderful (and always encouraging) friend Casey sent me a message. We both graduated together, really dislike being "adults" and have an online browsing habit. I told her what was up and she reminded me that I'm being humbled- in the greatest sense of the word. After she told me this I began to give it some thought and realized that I have so much more than I could ever ask for. I have been blessed with a wonderful family, amazing friends, a sweet boyfriend, a precious dog and and education. What more could I ask for?! (except maybe a full-time job?)

I decided I wasn't going to let this get me down, so I made some lunch and went out and about to take care of errands. After an afternoon of being lazy I finally decided to start my biomechanics homework; however, about the time I get a good start my sweet grandmother calls me. She asked me when I was coming home again and how things were going, then she told me that mom mentioned how I didn't have any hours at work. She told me she got me some paper towels and toilet paper, and told me to bring a grocery list for when I come home next week because she was going to get me some groceries. She also told me to bring a cooler because she had put up some peas for me and also had some pickles and peach jelly ready for me. This almost brought me to tears because although I hadn't thought about how I would provide for myself in the coming weeks in a few hours, I knew I would wake up tomorrow morning and the thought would be the first thing on my mind, but my sweet grandmother took that worry away with just a phone call tonight, and she probably doesn't even know she did it.

Needless to say I am much less worried than I was twelve hours ago and am really looking forward to going home for a visit next week! I am constantly reminded just how much I have and how blessed I am!


--b

1 comment: